RCU Forums - View Single Post - COX 0.049 black widow problems.
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2003, 04:36 AM
prole
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default COX 0.049 black widow problems.

yup. It says three in the instructions.

I'm not saying that this is the best way, I'm just saying it is what I do, but I also don't use my electric starter on my Cox's (only had to break one Rod to make that decision) and I am very careful and mindful of what I am doing.

I do 3 1/2 to 3 3/4 on my Baby Bee, my Texaco, and my Black Widow.

JUST BE CAREFUL, ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE USING AN ELECTRIC STARTER.

...bare with me guys, I got to do it...

Here is the deal. Open up the needle, try 3 to start with, before you hook up the glow clip give a good squirt into the exhaust port and flip the prop 3 or 4 times. Now hook up the clip and just litsen, most of the time you can hear it start to burn off the fuel that is in the chamber, also if you move the piston to the BDC you should be able to see the reflection of the coil glowing orange off the top of the piston. Spin the prop COUNTER CLOCKWISE untill you start to feel resistance. Now flip it through.

I'll usually give it about 5 flips, if it hasn't started, close the needle and flip it until it starts. It will rev way up and run off the prime, and them quickly slow down and die.

Now start over.

WHY? If you get to much fuel into the cylinder the piston won't be able to go all the way up. This is called Hydrolic Lock, or something close to that. It's bad when you are using an electric starter because no matter how hard you force it, that piston will lock up and either the prop will fly off becuase the spinner and prop screw get loosened by the rapid spinning of the starter or the rod that connects the piston to the prop shaft will snap.

Wanna know how I know this, because I have done it, I have been jabbed in the face with a flying propeller because I had over-primed my Norvel, and I busted the con-rod in a brand new Tee Dee the very first time I tried to start it.

Now be nice to it, tell it that you are sorry for all the mean things that you said and that from now on things will be different. Follow that, step by step and see what happens.

If it doesn't work I will send you my address and I'll talk to it and see if it is ever going to give it up for you.

...and be careful, when it does start that prop is going to come back around REALLY FAST, and if your finger is in the way, you'll be sorry.

the prole