RCU Forums - View Single Post - RCV 58CD Prop and run-in questions
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2007, 11:04 PM
TubaTom99
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RCV 58CD Prop and run-in questions

Stephanie:

I decided to contact you using this thread so you had a little history on my issue as it concerns the above engine. I am a little embarrassed to be putting this out here, but I may be guily of enginecide and I would like your recommendations on what is best at this point.

After I ran the engine in, it sat a while as I finished the plane (Harmon Rocket). Yesterday I took it out for both the plane's and engine's maiden. I used a 12X6 APC prop, Byron 16% synthetic/castor blend (10% nitro). The weather was cool, but nice. The engine took a while to start but we got it running. It did not have the power it had when I was running it in. It just wasn’t turning any RPM even after adjusting the mixture as you recommend. It ran at WOT like I would have expected if I were using less than half throttle. Using hindsight, I probably should have just shut it down and contacted you. But, like an idiot, I wanted to see the plane fly. After about 4 passes, I brought it in. As I was landing I brought it to idle and it sounded rather strange; it had a loud machine like noise, not the usual softer whir of the gears. Today I took it out with the intent to fiddle with it and see if what was up. Well, it wouldn't start and as I used the starter it makes a noise a bit like a loose chain. I thought it best to contact you at this point. I have had many 4 strokes (I have only used one 2 stroke and that on a trainer) and I am baffled by this. Except for the hour run-in the 58 had only that one flight.

Ideas? Is the poor thing a paperweight now?

Tom