RCU Forums - View Single Post - Sig King Kobra Build
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2007, 07:51 PM
ExperimentalAviator
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sig King Kobra Build

Mike from Michigan,

I would suggest separating the rudder from the vertical then run an Exacto blade down each side of the hinge until you can get it loose enough to pull out. You can replace the wood at each location with small pieces of balsa bonded in with Gorilla Glue. Sand this smooth and re-slot each location for a new hinge.

If there ends up being more glue in the slotted area than balsa I would not use CA hinges. Although, I do recall reading on another forum where someone used Gorilla Glue on the CA hinges with no problems. I guess if the hinge is lightly dampened and inserted into the glue filled slot that the Gorilla Glue will wick into the fibrous material on the face of the CA hinge. But, you do have to be careful since Gorilla Glue foams up a bit.

It's your choice, but I would probably go back with Dubro pinned hinges or Robart hinges if the slotted area is more glue than balsa. By the way, I only use CA hinges from Radio South and I have never had a failure since using them, i.e., many, many years.

Maybe someone else will speak up if they have a more simple way of fixing your hinge problem.

Hey Michael, I'll see you at the new field when it's ready. Hopefully that will be this coming weekend. Go make some chips and dust on that Sr. Telemaster!!

Mike