RCU Forums - View Single Post - Norvel Engine FAQ
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2007, 06:01 AM
AndyW
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Norvel Engine FAQ

Luna,

Carb glued in is a design flaw only because they didn't use a good glue. Redo it with J B Weld and you'll have no trouble. You have an early, AAN engine, not the Revlite. AAN, Aluminum piston with a Nickle plated, Aluminum cylinder.

Revlite had the cylinder hard anodized with the piston nickle plated. A very good concept but if set up too tight could give you grief. As it is, the engine you have should be run in like any normal engine of the ABC/AAN/AAC type. Don't spend a lot of time running it rich. Take it to JUST lean, a very slight burble here and there. You DON'T want the engine to run too cool as with rich running. The cylinder won't expand adequately and you'll wear out that very useful "pinch" at TDC that gives these types of engine their power. If you got an engine with little pinch, don't worry about break in, just fly it with a mildly lean setting and turn it in as you get a few tanks through it.

One big thing in MY book. Most throttled, 1/2A RC engines don't give you a means to adjust the low end mixture. As such, at low throttle, they typically load up with fuel during prolonged idling and give poor transition.

HOWEVER, with a ganging of tolerances and other factors, you may get lucky and get one that the low end's mixture, just by chance, is right on. Sometimes you find that the main needle has quite a broad range. You're good and lean and you turn in the needle some more without going any leaner,,,, at the top end. You can use this to adjust for your idle mixture. Just keep leaning the top end without going overlean till you get the idle mixture just right. All the .074s behave this way, only a few .06s do it. I do this on the ground and then do a final, fine tuning, in the air.

Here, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5U6Kk7L3HVE

you can see a dieselized .06 with the stock throttle, idling and transitioning quite nicely. Ideally, I would install an adjustable airbleed, just in case it's needed.

On glow, even though it's not recommended, I've had good luck with plain old, Cool Power 25%. Spiking the 18% all synthetic oil by adding Castor to make it 20 or 22% would probably give you some added insurance and longevity.

Your mentioning lubricants implies that you'll be mixing your own fuel. Be aware that small engines always need a fair bit of nitro to do their best work. Power AND throttling will improve much with at least some nitro and ideally, up to 25%

Hope that helps and yes, just my opinion. Other opinions are welcomed and encouraged. There are sixteen ways to skin a cat and every one of them will give you a good result.