Thread: WACO YMF
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2007, 09:11 AM
SuperCub Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WACO YMF

ORIGINAL: mrdhud
SuperCub man
Jim, I weighed my aileron it is 2.3 oz do you think that is ok? I hate to make three more if that's to heavy if so I will go your rout and use the plastic.
My alu aileron weighed about 2.5oz and I believe the "plastic" one weight 1.5oz. The weight difference wasn't much, being about 4 oz. on the total aircraft weight. What I meant was that the aluminum material I used was too heavy or thick (heavy gauge) and I could not get it to stick. After a day or so it lifted and was too hard for me to handle and bend. It was only .015" but after all the trouble and with the easy use of the plastic, I opted for the "easy". I gave the "corrugation machine" to a buddy and wished him luck! Pressing in the rivets was easier on the plastic as well. I now notice the first two ailerons on which I used the 3M Spray 77 are coming a bit loose but the other two sprayed with the 3M Super 90 are remaining in place. When putting the plastic aileron side by side with the alu, I think the plastic looks better as it is more even and the corrugations are consistent. No matter how hard I tried, I could not get the alu to stay flat and consistent. Some will say the real aircraft aileron is not smooth and consistent, but scale to scale the bumps and twists I had were much too big. However there are only 27 plastic corrugations whereas the scale version has 34 (although by actual count, the plane I'm modeling has 33!!) It's a judgement call!