RCU Forums - View Single Post - Norvel Engine FAQ
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2007, 09:40 PM
AndyW
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Norvel Engine FAQ

Mike,

Theoretically, Revlites are more durable. The Revlites are a hard anodized cylinder with a nickle plated piston. This gives you a much harder combo than nickle on high silicon aluminum. However, the anodized is abrasive to a degree. It has a porous surface that holds oil so this, theoretically, limits wear. I'm not so sure. The Revlite system works very well but I'm not so sure it's more durable, lasting longer or giving more overall mileage etc. Where Revlite is superior is in the compression seal. Less blow by with up to 25% better mileage per ounce of fuel. This was Norvel's claim and has been tested and proven by myself, at least on the smaller engines. A Revlite piston/cylinder assembly is a drop in replacement if you can get them. Maybe LightMachines still has that.

My best Revlites had a very tight fit that you broke in carefully using a heat gun to get them running for a hot, run in, fit. They didn't last much longer than a good, ABC set up in my estimation. I'm guessing that a chromed sleeve with a hard anodized piston might work better, chrome being harder than nickel.