RCU Forums - View Single Post - Herr Pitts Special Kit Build Thread
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2007, 02:36 AM
somegeek
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Herr Pitts Special Kit Build Thread

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Got the majority of the modification done to the upper wing to get the barn door aileron slot area created.

1) Cut the TE sheeting on the outer edge of the rib #2 in the pic so the rib can sit on it.
2) Install rib - this rib will need to have the top TE sheeting groove cut into it.
3) Place the TE lower sheeting piece in place and trim to length. I did butt the lower TE sheeting against the ribs numbered 2 and 5 in the pic. You could notch the lower side of the ribs to sit on top of the sheeting as well.
4) Install 3/16" TE strip(leftover spar pieces worked here along with a few inches from a new spar stock piece).
5) Install outer-most rib - this rib will need to have the top edge sheeting groove cut into it(I forgot to do this in this pic).
6) Install T-5 Rib with doublers. If using Titebond or a variant, make sure you clear out any extra that might be in the groove before you set this piece in place.
7) install rib - alter this to look the same as one of the lower wing L-3 ribs.

I've still gotta do some clean-up on the area where the upper TE sheeting will sit. Forgot to clear the area on the outer-most rib for the TE sheeting so will do this before I add that piece. As stated above, use a rib from the lower wing for a template to shorten your ribs and as a guide to easily trim your ribs using a straight edge razor.

I didn't like the torsional flex in the wooden dowel used to join the elevator halves so I replaced it with a piece of 1/8" carbon fiber rod and secured with flash black rubberized CA. Should be solid now.

Looking forward to pulling this off the board tomorrow and seeing if this made the elevator that much more rigid.

somegeek