RCU Forums - View Single Post - mcculloch 28 vs homie 25
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2007, 06:33 PM
rollmyown

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: mcculloch 28 vs homie 25

KI8FR,
Sorry about the slow response. The prop hub is actually two pieces. Scott Baldridge made the front part of the Prop Hub assembly, the part that has the 7/16 shaft matching rear threads and the Knurling to drive the prop. I made the rear part to fill the space the Flywheel vacated. Of course you need a Lathe to make this piece. I just have a Taig Lathe with patience and perserverance. Cutting the slot for the Woodruff key is a challenge without a Mill or ?, but I do have a drill press. As I stated, I located the Magnet, from Radio Shack, a small 1/8" diameter Earth Magnet, 180 degrees from the Woodruff slot in a drilled hole in the rear, close to the outside diameter of the Magnet hub (rear Part). I rest of the hole has a plastic plug to keep the magnet in place. There is a center punch mark on the magnet hub so you know where the magnet is to set up the timing. Scott Baldridge probably has the dimensions I gave him to make the prop hubs. I might be the first to set up a long shaft Mac like this. I'll see if I can sketch these parts and post them in this thread. By the way, the P-47 prop nut is made from Fortal, an Aluminum alloy about equal to 7075, (good strength for internal threads) and the rear is drilled out to save weight. It looks like a revolver cylinder from the rear.