RCU Forums - View Single Post - Lanier Mariner 40 MKII ARF 62"
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2007, 10:10 AM
Mustang Fever
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Lanier Mariner 40 MKII ARF 62"

Wow! Big improvement over some previous Lanier ARFs. Better covering job even than on my old (defunct) Shrike 40 ARF, and it was pretty nice. Very nicely thought out design. I decided to go with this so I can get used to high mounted engines before I attempt either another ARROW or maybe a NORTHSTAR. I note that Lanier put 3.5 degrees of upthrust on the engine. I can't wait to observe the flight characteristics. I suspect that an equivalent amount of downthrust would cure any thrust/pitch coupling issues on the ARROW. Don't know about the NORTHSTAR.

Note: the problems mentioned the Mariner kit in this thread are well covered in the instruction manual. A big warning right on the first page about the covering not sticking well to the fiberglass bottom and it's the owner's responsibility to keep the edges sealed. That's a euphemism for a potential water leak if I ever saw one. Then there's the "keep the air speed up, no stall landing here" warning. Typical symmetrical airfoil- too slow=tip stall.

What size prop will fit on this critter? I'd like to use a 12x6 on my OS 55, but don't know if there's room. I might have to use the 11x7 3 blade. The pictures indicate plenty of room for about any size prop, but I'd appreciate knowing.