View Single Post
Old 11-08-2007, 03:06 PM
jagnweiner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Why join a club

ORIGINAL: Minnreefer

I agree with both parts, but sometimes I feel that the bs part is more important in the club that i am a current member. I know that I am a bit "bittter" but at a membership meeting a little while ago about $1000 of "door prizes" was givin away to members that went to the meeting, but they are still charging a good charge for membership or for the fall banquet I personally would have prefered at least a raffal to reduce club dues. I feel a bit stronger about this stuff since I have been laid off work a while ago and feeling very broke, and with a young family I don't get to the member meetings, I only have soo much time.

Saying that may not get me invited back into the club, but i feel better geting that off my chest.
Jon-

We'll invite you back. In the end, I think you need to do what's right for you. It's hard to say what I would do if I lived somewhere furhter north, but for me, our club is just right. Each of the other clubs I considered joining is the same distance away from me. There is one that is much closer, but I don't like the field at all.

Here's why I chose that particular club:

-We own the field. As far as I know we are the only club in the Twin Cities that actually owns their own land. The two other clubs that are on the west side of town are in grave danger of losing their sites to development.

-I like the people, for the most part. People were very friendly and helpful when I was getting started and I have enjoyed getting to know them. There are several seniors who no longer fly, but there are quite a few people who do.

For a little counterpoint on some of the objections. I probably would not have done the prize giveaway had I been in charge, but I don't have a serious problem with it. I knew about the meeting, but missed it anyway because I chose to go to my sons' football game. To be fair, this was a once in a lifetime event, in honor of our 50th anniversary. The club had some surplus funds that had built up over a few years and decided to throw a big party with prizes.

I find the dues pretty reasonable. I believe at least an equal amount of our budget is raised by the annual auction fundraiser. I just checked and see that our dues are $75, but last year I think they were $60 if you renewed by a certain time. I'm not sure if they are doing that again this year. I think most of the local clubs are between $50 and $75.

I wish you the best in whatever you decide to do. It's not easy making time to fly with young kids. Give me a call sometime when you are going out to fly and if I'm available, I'll go along.