RCU Forums - View Single Post - Kit Building Forum Activity
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2007, 03:59 PM
jollyroger
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Kit Building Forum Activity

I mostly build kits. I've bought a few ARFS. While some were ok, others were terrible. Even the big names have their problems. A friend bought a Tower Trainer and the instructions said to just glue and tape the root ribs together to join the wings. No joineers or diehedral braces. needless to say the wing came apart shortly thereafter. What kind of quality do you call this? Who makes these kind of design decisions? Some coke head?
While It seems that glue joints are the main complaint, I've found assembly instructions to sadly lacking in many cases.
Many of the guys in my club prefer to build kits. I've just finished a Sig Kougar and working on a Sig Citabria, Balsacraft FW-190 and Jim Ryan P-47. I also have a Sig Dornier Do 217 and a House of Balsa Space walker to get started. So I've got a full plate this season.
Now not all kits are created equal. The Balsacraft kits has some strange wood in it and the instructions are not too clear as well. It may well be why they fell out of favor.
It is sad to hear Sky Shark will no longer be producing their line of laser cut kits due to the lack of interest. At least we still have companies such as Sig, Great planes, Aerodrome and others who still believe in the joy of building as well as flying.
I find building is a great way to relieve stress and escape from all the troubles in life. It's good therapy.LOL
Cheers Jollyroger