RCU Forums - View Single Post - Kit Building Forum Activity
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2007, 09:54 PM
Kirk RC
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Kit Building Forum Activity

I would suggest that yes more people are starting to get involved in building as a "second stage" of their RC experience. As example 3 of the new members at my club soloed this summer on ARF's, are into their 2-3rd ARF ( a few crashes a couple moving up from the Avisstar stuff) and now are going into building. In discussions with them the main reasons appears to be that they want to have a plane that they can at last feel fully vested in, simply put they want the full RC experience and to understand how a plane goes together. Like many of you I have helped alot of new flyers with their ARF's problems, needed repairs etc and they are amazed at how much I know as a builder about their plane and THEY want that knowledge also. I have always thought ARF's are great for the hobby by bringing in more particapants. The new E crowd is a great thing for us all as well IMO. If only 10% of the new ARF particapants moved into some building that would be a huge increase!! Maybe we are seeing the first of the ARF crowd making the move into some kit builds?a Must of us who have been in RC 20+years are now hybrid Kit/ARF flyers anyway. As Im currently finishing/covering my TF 1/5 P-51B kit, sitting on the table next to it is my Skyshark P-40 ARF that is being assembled and I bounce back between the two. When they are both finished it may be time this winter to start my Midwest AT6 kit or TF B-25 ARF, or maybe both . You gotta love this hobby