RCU Forums - View Single Post - Peak Models Yak
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2007, 10:31 PM
az3d
My Feedback: (59)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Peak Models Yak

I hate to bust on peakmodel because up until now I have been happy with them. This is the second plane I got from them. What I am telling you is accurate and I have let peak model know. Right now they are blowing me off. Mabye my plane they sent me is different (If it is I wish they would send me the right one, I am still waiting on that) but here is the deal. The plane is not built for the DL 50. My CG is back so far when I fly inverted up at a 45 degree angle and go neutral stick the plane continues to fly up. Please don't comment about the thrust angle, spare yourself the typing. I have at least 1/2 lb (I am going to weight it to be sure) of balast as well as two 5 cell nicad batteries and one 4 cell battery mounted on my engine standoffs. Thats right on the standoffs to get the weight as far forward as possible. I also have an alumun 3 1/2 inch spinner that is not lightened. After breaking two props on landing because the plane would tip forward because the gear is located too close to the cg (also it could be the worthless tires the plane comes with) I bought the landing gear set from extreme flight that they use for their 88 inch yak. Their gear slants forward. Now I can actually land the plane without it costing me $30 each time. Also their tail wheel assembly weights about 1/3 of what the plane comes with so I was able to take a couple of ounces off the front. I have been flying RC for 5 years and I am not claiming to be an expert but I do know what I am doing. By the way we did weight the plane at the field and it was 19lbs without fuel. thats because I did not have a spinner on it and had over a pound on the front to balance it, not including the batteries, again I use that term lightly because the CG can't go any farther back without crashing it. It has to weight at least 18.5 lbs now. I am not saying it wont 3D because I am still breaking in the motor so I don't know but it doesn't make sense to buy the plane with the DL 50 if you have to add a bunch of weight on the front. I emailed RUFHOLT above and he had the same problem, not to drag him into this. Do what you want, listen to me or not. I just wish someone would have posted this before I bought it. The motor is a score though and mine runs great. If someone wants to buy my plane from me and prove me wrong be my guest.