RCU Forums - View Single Post - Who has taught themself?
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2007, 08:59 AM
kid chuckles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Who has taught themself?

I also am self taught. I did however fly the plane around experienced flyers. It was a Super Cub and I started in Dec. 06. I then tried various other Elec. planes such as the mini Edge. Had a deal at LHS 480 bruchless and plane for 89.00. Crashed it fairly quick got another plane and did the same. Got another and still did the same. Decided I was pretty good then so I got a Stick with a .60 and alot of wing. Flew it fine from takeoff to landing. But flying the Super Cub so much i did not have alot of rudder exp., and hit a fence after a beautiful landing just turned wrong way. Repaired it and in two days was flying it once again and have not crashed it since. I know in i guess 11mnths. have several gas planes from the Stick to a Sundowner and also areobatic type such as a Frenzy. I also have several Elec. that i fly and have become pretty fair in that i can get them back on the ground even in a pretty good crosswind. If you do teach yourself the Super Cub is very easy to learn on in that a hot glue gun and some foam safe CA and you can fix it in just a matter of min. usually. Then go to a big wing something. If you to gas or elec. just make sure it has wide long higer up on the fuse wings. Probabaly top wings if at all possible. Then just take your time and practice practice practice. Landing is the hardest thing. So takeoff come around and land ALOT. The actual flying part high up is not near what landing is. lol. Good luck and try to take your time. Make sure your plane is right everytime. Check it out good after every flight this is a little time consuming but making sure your servo rod is not falling out, or your motor is loose, or even a wheel nut not loose will save you alot in the long run. AND HAVE FUN. Oh and get ready to spend some bucks learning lol. It is addicting and expensive learning. Everyone I have met that flys anything has had a crash and destroyed planes. So be aware that this can happen. But again GOOD LUCK to those that go it alone. AND a simulator is well worth the money. Kids love them also. My 10yr. old grandson played on mine I bought him a Super Cub also and first time out he flew it from takeoff to landing 5 different times (his still looks new) KIDS lol.