RCU Forums - View Single Post - WACO YMF
Thread: WACO YMF
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2007, 08:35 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: WACO YMF

ORIGINAL: RICKSTUBBZ

Going to make a really long story as short as possible. Dug out my Pica WACO kit last night. Hot dog! it is a 1/5 scale and not the 1/6 kit. Been so long (7 years since I boxed everything up for a move to the country)??? Bought it from Tower Hobbies June of 1990 for $146.99. It's a die cut kit. I expect to build my EAA bipe first to get some practice and knock off the rust before diving into the WACO. Do not want to botch up the WACO!!

Bill, Waiting to see how your light turns out. Did you indeed scale up to do a 1/4 scale version of the Pica kit. I have been reading these threads from the beginning toward the current date. Have not gone backwards from Sept of this year to find out.
Rick,

Short answer: Yes (but with some qualifications) I won't scale everything up automatically. There is no reason for some of the parts to have a cross section that thick (ribs, formers etc.) I won't even consider cutting the first piece until I'm finished with the current project. That one may take a while, with all the modifications. These modifications, if successful will be incorporated in the larger one. If they prove to be marginal, or unsuccessful, they will not. Often though, a modification will work better on a larger model than on one that is smaller (can you imagine a variable incidence H-stab on a .40 size model?). There are other considerations as well. I will need to address the Cowl, wheel pants, landing gear etc. It won't be as simple as it sounds, and this model will probably need something like an O.S. 300 twin, or a 50cc gas engine to have any respectable performance. Also the servo's and all related gear will need to be up-sized, so this will be an expensive model to complete. Seems as the size of the model increases in a linear fashion, the cost factor increases expotentionally.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1