RCU Forums - View Single Post - Aeroworks 96" Extra 260 ARF QB Assembly
Old 11-18-2007, 01:02 AM
Joe Hunt
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Aeroworks 96" Extra 260 ARF QB Assembly

ORIGINAL: bodywerks

How's it coming along, Joe? Where do you think you will end up, weight-wise? I did a quick throwtogether on mine and I am showing 21.5 pounds, +/- 1/4 pound. This may sound light, but I actually thought I'd be lighter. I have gone to extravagant lengths to shave weight off this plane, and I have gone full carbon and have a 10 ounce rx/ign. power system (new A123 1100mah cells). I took 8-10 ounces out of the airframe, 2 ounces out of the motor mount spacer (made one out of end-grain balsa), and even went with titanium engine mount bolts to save that extra ounce! The full carbon setup, including spinner, knocked about 14 ounces right off the top of the finished weight I estimate that, in total, I shaved 28-30 ounces off of a typical setup with the above-mentioned techniques. I did, however, go with a KS95 can, which added 6 ounces over the Slimline pitts, so lets call it 1.5 pounds that I saved.
So, are you looking at about 23 pounds?
Here are some pics of some of my lightening mods:
Love what you're doing!

Mine is 21 lbs 3oz all up with Truturn spinner and stock landing gear. I could get this thing under 20lbs!

Maidened today... this thing is locked and stable. 8-)