RCU Forums - View Single Post - J600R start solved!
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2007, 05:58 PM
Len
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default J600R start solved!

Hi Kelly,
Regarding our conversation about the progressively harder to start J600R: I did come up with the solution! It has nothing to do with the engine internally at all, by the way! It was the glow plug connector cap that had gotten a tad corroded inside. I cleaned it out with a dowel and some fine grit paper and Voila the engine started as if it was new again! I hit on this AFTER disassembling the case to check the gas injector and of course everything was fine in there. I tested it and the gas was coming out of the tube right where it should be...so it had to be ignition. The plug wire was a tad sooty, but it light right up with a nistarter, so it had to be the ECU or the wiring. I tested the plug at 180 and no glow, though the display did show a good plug. That is not a feedback loop test though, merely a continuity test, so it is not indicative of a poorly light plug, only a broken one. I stepped it up to 200, no light, then to 220 and it was barrely glowing, then to 240 and finally to 260 where it glowed as it did on the nistarter. This meant there was a severe resistance somewhere in the wiring...FLASH: an old issue with the older DuBro Nistarters came to mind where the brass battery contact would corrode slightly over time and it was enough to lower the glow signifigantly after a few glow starts! I began checking the wiring and ended up at the cap!

Thanks for all your help man!
Len