RCU Forums - View Single Post - Flameout problem
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2007, 07:15 PM
Andrew Bird

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Flameout problem

I have a problem that is starting to consistantly rear it's ugly head, and one of the guys I fly with suggested I describe what's happening and see if anyone comes up with any ideas we haven't thought of yet.

I have a Bandit ARF with an Artes Falcon. The turbine has around 2 1/2 hours run time and starts and runs great - except for when I do the following:

Roll inverted downwind - push round the turn to the upwind leg - on the upwind leg it will flameout.
This happened 3 times in a row - first time was a surprise, but all was fine.
Second time I was testing the previous scenario to see if it would happen again - and it did.
Third time I had moved the filter so it sat vertically, replaced sections of the fuel line and made sure all was as it should be. All connections had been checked. The Data Terminal just says flameout after it's happened.

The UAT is totally free from air and there are no bubbles in the lines after landing. All batteries are as they should be. The problem has not happened at a constant duration or fuel level in flight. The three flameouts have occurred over two sessions of flying. Today I flew the first flight - replicated the pattern, all was fine, then replicated again and the turbine cut.
I then flew a second flight and did not do any prolonged inverted although I pushed a bit of -G and some slow and 4 point rolls. This time everything ran great.

I'm relatively new to turbines and not the worlds biggest boffin on troubleshooting these problems yet, so any help would be appreciated.