RCU Forums - View Single Post - Flameout problem
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2007, 08:20 PM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: Flameout problem

I think I have your answer. I've had the same problem on both my Artes Falcon and Artes Bee. Both came with a gold colored in line filter. It's the same one that Hangar 9 sells. Anyway that filter will trap a lot of air, when you do a manuever that shakes a bubble loose it will flame out the engine. I'm very sensitive to this issue after my Maverick flamed out and crashed.

The best advice is to use a different filter. I switched to a Dubro filter on my Bee. I still have that filter on my Falcon. Mount it vertically where it can move freely. After priming the line with fuel take a screwdriver or your finger and keep tapping the filter until all of the air is out. Then when you are sure all of the air is out tap it about 10 more times to confirm it. You will be amazed at how many bubbles keep coming out. After all of the air is out it will work fine. Every time you open up your fuel sysyem, run out of fuel, or otherwise get any air into your system you need to go through the tapping exercise to make sure all of the air is out of the filter. The reason my Maverick crashed is because I forgot to do that.

My suggestion is to remove the in line filter for a few flights to confirm that is the problem. Then you can decide to keep tapping, switch to another brand, or run without a filter. A friend who has an Artes Eagle flies without a filter because he does not want to risk a flameout.

The other possibility is that you have air trapped in your UAT. I believe it comes with instructions on how to purge all of the air out. I took mine out of the plane and shook the crap out of it while pumping fuel through it with my fueler to purge it.

Let me know if this works out.

Joe