RCU Forums - View Single Post - Inverted Engine
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2007, 08:50 AM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Inverted Engine

Well....lots of good advice and good information. I forgot about some aircraft having the prop center-line closer to the top of the cowl. Odd about the fuel tank location. I think my manual says something specific about the height of the tank in relation to the carb. I'll have to check it out. What's odd, is I wouldn't have thought that was critical with a pressurized fuel tank, especially when the fuel level changes in flight anyway (due to consumption as well as aircraft attitude). On the Saito 30, the rear-mounted carb is quite close to the crank center-line. I'll have to check this out. As far as flying the engine inverted, it would be convenient to mount the engine upright and vent the engine breather nipple with a short piece of fuel line. This line would exit behind the cowl in the existing small muffler "in-dent" in the fuselage. The cowl itself is not pre-cut for a muffler, so I can do that anyway I like. I will have to check out what provisions are there for cowl venting one the aircraft kit arrives. I think my biggest concern for writing the original post, was that if I mounted the engine upright on a low-wing aircraft, it woudl raise the Cof G significantly in the "z" direction, making it a little less stable in "roll". Presumeably the "pitch" CofG would be unaffected. Anyway, thanks everyone for taking your time to respond.