RCU Forums - View Single Post - New 1100 mAh A123 available everywhere and no word here!
Old 11-30-2007, 07:23 PM
dragon_no_fly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New 1100 mAh A123 available everywhere and no word here!

Well, all I can say is...............................................I LOVE THESE BATTERIES!!!!!
Thanks A123 Systems!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Below, is why:

I just received in today my brand new Hyperion EOSO610i NET charger and balancing
leads as well as a brand new Pyramid PS-14KX 13.8 VDC power supply that provides
a continuous 12 Amps of power so that I can plug the new Hyperion charger into it
and use A/C power instead of a deep cycle lead acid battery when I am not at the field.
I finished the flight pack and I will post a picture of it tomorrow. I purchased Hyperion's
open-ended balancing leads and it was a real trick to figure out how to "adapt" the Hyperion
open-ended 6S connector to work on a 3S pack, since the adapter's plug end was molded
to fit into the 6S receptacle on the Hyperion multi-cell adapter board. PM me if you get
stuck in this position, I will tell you what the wiring sequence is. I finally figured out the
balancing leads, soldered them up, then I used "beads" of hot glue on each seam where
two cells meet to help hold the pack together and finally after this I used two sheets of
heat shrink wrap from my LHS for making battery packs to really secure the pack together.
Again, this is my very first battery pack, so the level of neatness may not satisfy some flyers,
but the pack is electrically sound so far, has no electrical shorts and is held together quite
well.

The last time this pack was charged fully and used was on Thanksgiving day and I only used
about 4-5 minutes out of the pack after it had been sitting around for three hours on that day.
The pack has not been used since, until today, nor has it been re-charged. After figuring out
the Hyperion charger, which IMHO is extremely easy to use, I was able to setup a memory location
for charging an A123 3S pack of 1,100 mAh capacity at a steady 5 Amps. I hooked the battery
up to the charger and balancer board and then selected this preset and charged/balanced.
I would not have believed it if I had not seen it with my own eyes, but the Hyperion charger
re-charged the pack and balanced it in 3 minutes, 50 seconds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The battery was barely
warm and the charger was room temperature at the end of charge. I then flew my heli for a
full 14 minutes, 45 seconds before the battery "dumped". I went back and re-charged it a
few minutes later after the end of the flight. Again, I have never seen this before in R/C.........
the freakin' A123 battery was re-charged/balanced in 12 minutes, 44 seconds!!!!! At the end
of the charge, the battery was barely warm, while the Hyperion charger was ROOM TEMPERATURE.
Simply put, my heli's power setup is not ideal, a higher K/V motor with a smaller main motor
pinion will draw less Amps than my JustGoFly 300DF main motor with 14 tooth pinion, but
the flight time EXCEEDS the re-charging time and I am re-charging this pack at A123's recom-
mended rate. I am actually thinking about adjusting the charging preset up to 6 Amps, but no
more than this. This will allow, on average, 10 minute re-charges!

If any one thinks that these batteries are "hype" or not the real deal, they are either lying or
they do not know what they are talking about. The power of the heli's setup is AWESOME.
At half throttle, the heli will continue to steadily rise out of sight...yes, keep going beyond two
telephone poles high. In order to maintain a steady hover at 7-8 feet above ground I have to
hold no more than 40-45% throttle stick deflection, anything more and the heli will climb.
The discharge was flat and in the last minute or so, the power dropped a little, then it had its
characteristic "abrupt knee". I am sorry for this long-winded post, but I have never seen
anything like this since I have been in the field of radio control.......