RCU Forums - View Single Post - Norvel .061 Diesel Conversion?
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2003, 03:06 PM
AndyW
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Norvel .061 Diesel Conversion?

Peter,

I did a Novel conversion last year. I couldn't get it to run. This was a well run in engine,, on glow and it had adequate compression seal and ran well, and strongly, as a glow. However, as a diesel, the compression seal was inadequate and would only pop,, all day. However, I happened to have a few spare pistons and mixing and matching, found one that was an extremely tight fit. Normally you'd say it was TOO tight and not use it. But, I was determined to eliminate the possibility that compression was the problem.

I used a heat gun to free up the piston enough to get the engine started and limbered up as a glow. After that, the engine had that nice snap over feeling when flipped even after just shutting down. Compression seal was excellent. The result was an engine that would start, by hand, without the need to adjust the needle or compression screw. The first two or three prime runs would warm up the cylinder to the point where the engine would catch. Thereafter, a minute of burrp, burrp and it would transition into a nice growl and steady run. Throttling is virtually perfect, as good as glow. However, this engine has a bolt on muffler and an adjustable airbleed has been added. Prerequisites, to my mind, for good throttling. Also, this engine was the early AAN construction, NOT Revlite.

And, the round rod is not as strong as the one with the rectangular profile. Depending on how easy yours will be to start, keep that in mind if and when you're tempted to use an electric starter.

The tank has no fuel sensitive parts so you should be OK except for the line that goes to the throttle. Use black neoprene tubing. Head shims not an issue because you are adjusting compression with the head. A 7 X 3 should be ideal even with the barrel as is. If you go to a larger prop, the science dictates that you'll want to bush down the barrel. But, you never know till you try.

One last thing about throttling. If you're engine has three by-pass ports, you may not get good throttling no matter what you do. You need the engine with the five by-pass ports if throttling is a concern,, along with an adjustable airbleed.

All of the preceding is just my experience. Please don't let it discourage you. Unfortunately, I have a knack for doing that. Sorry if that's the case. Just try the thing and see what you get. If you run into problems, let me know and I'll try to help.

Having a diesel buddy nearby is a HUGE help. You'll see what I mean when you try to start the *%#@% thing. All our glow experience will hinder, not help.