RCU Forums - View Single Post - New composite spitfire
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2007, 09:48 PM
transatlanticflight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New composite spitfire

Grenader,

I just took delivery of a new fg36...it's a beauty. (Still wish it was multi cylinder and water cooled but it should be a great sounding, performing engine if adequate cooling can be arranged. Been trying to figure out what size Spitfire to put it in. I have cut apart a 1/6 kmp/yt spit to move the firewall back and make room for a gasser. I also own a yellow aircraft kit (I think 1/5 scale)...and now I see this beautiful 1/5.5 composite that I will probably have to purchase.

I have a number of questions regarding the fg36 that I pose to all...

1. Has anyone thought about putting a solo-prop or other 4-5 blader on an fg36 and how close to scale size prop and pitch could the engine handle.
2. What size (scale) spitfire should the engine be able to handle - 1/6, 1/5.5, 1/5...
3. The carb is designed for updraft when mounted right side up...any thoughts on how the engine will work inverted with down draft carb?
4. What does anybody think about mounting the fg36 right side up with a reduction drive (gear or belt driven) to shift the center of the prop shaft to the correct height and allow me to use the scale carb intake to feed fresh air to the carb. If so, what ratio and how would that affect prop selection?
5. Finally, any good source for functional scale exhausts for fishtail exhausts in the above scales? I know about keleo and j'tec...any others worth looking at?

Thanks

Rick