RCU Forums - View Single Post - Global Freestyle ARF suitable for beginning pattern?
Old 12-06-2007, 08:29 PM
majortom-RCU
My Feedback: (40)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Global Freestyle ARF suitable for beginning pattern?

I would not hesitate to go with this model. However, for introduction to pattern I would set it up with strictly low-rate throws, stick to the loops and rolls, don't even think about snaprolls for a season or three. The plane will be a lot easier to handle if you keep the throws modest--shortest possible arms on servos, longest possible arms on control horns. Do what you can to keep it light, and the 46 will work. I had at least a couple 46 powered planes when I was breaking in on pattern. They were not outrageously powered, but certainly enough to pull a big loop when called on, and generally enjoyable to fly. The place where I would notice a shortfall power-wise with one of my early pattern planes was in going up into a reverse half-cuban, when you roll inverted, if you don't have enough power to pull through the half-roll, then carry enough punch to keep a straight line all the way to the top, then you know you need more power. That half-roll drains off a fair amount of momentum. Keeping your roll rates on the slow side (with limited aileron throws) will help carry the momentum, but slower rolls will call for more flying skill to stay on axis. (Which is what pattern is all about!) Mostly a matter of learning to touch in some down elevator as soon as you come inverted.