RCU Forums - View Single Post - Dicko`s gas rigger build.
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2007, 04:50 AM
Squidhead Racing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dicko`s gas rigger build.

ORIGINAL: STEVE MARSHALL

Hey Adrian, Johno on this site (from here in perth) makes these ones. Also here is a link to it running.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANGGN4TpJfM
Steve
Thanks Steve,
Yes, the boat you see in the pictures is indeed a Firefighter Gas rigger made from the very same plans that you have purchased.

Now, onto the printing issue you are facing. The best place (or places) I have found to get these printed from file is a company whom has a A0 plan printer/plotter. Most places that have a printer that size also have the approriate software to open and print the file. There are two separate file formats that you downloaded upon purchase, one is DeltaCAD, the other is a DXF file format which can be opened and printed with AutoCAD. The larger plan printers (or even architechtural firms) have this software and will generally print a set for a few dollars.

I believe the DeltaCAD file types were added to enable people without access to AutoCAD software to download the Demo version to view.

I had a local guy here in WA (Fremantle) that prints all my plans and he also has the ability to resize to pretty much whatever. For memory the FFGas plans cost me about $8 per A0 sheet, for me it is excellent as I still retain the hardcopy should I accidently destroy the paper version during a build.

Whilst you may vey well be able to print several A4 sheets, you will have to be very cautious when you build to ensure that everything is accurate and most importantly straight (tub should be built in a jig anyway to maintain straightness)

I'm sure there are many reasons as to why hard copy plans are not supplied, but the benefits of an electronic format IMO far outweigh a hardcopy. If you ruin a hardcopy set, you will have to buy another which is added cost to you, additionally, you have to store them somewhere. That said, sure, it may take you a few phone calls to find someone with the capability however once you have established a rapport, you set for any future plans you may desire.

Anyway, best of luck for the build, they are a straight forward boat that are very fun to drive, you will no doubt have a blast with it. If you have any questions and or queries throughout the build then by all means drop me a line and I'll do my best to assist you to the best of my ability.

Johno