View Single Post
Old 12-09-2007, 12:24 AM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kangaroo-NitroPlanes-Assembly

On Black Friday Nitro Planes had a sale. I bought the KANGAROO. It looks like a clone of the Balsa USA's Force One. A pusher prop deltawing. Colors are silver, black and orange. The ad said the Kangaroo was retract ready. But no listing in the retracts for the Kangaroo. An Email about retracts to Nitroplanes has gone unanswered to date. OK, I have a set of Spring Air #305 lets use them.

Main gear pockets in the wings were very close to size I only had to lengthen the pocket by 1/8". OK proceed lets do retract instead of fixed gear. Cutting the soft sheeting was no problem and not much glue holding the wing sheeting down to the landing gear blocks. On one wing you can see the ribs are not perpendicular, add some glue and hope it holds.

Next are the wheel wells. One of the vacuum formed wells has a large radius around the well to the flat glue flange. This radii holds the well out of place above the wing instead of sitting down flush. See pictures below. Note that the good well has several little dimples around the flange in the tight radii. Those are from small vacuum holes drill in the mold to assist the drawing down of the plastic over the mold cavity. Nitro Planes will get an email about this.

While working on the gear pocket best to do the servo pockets. They are exposed by removing the covering, the servo mount has a doubler in it to provide 6 mm of wood for the servo mounting screws to pass thru. Also a notch was laser cut to allow the servo lead to pass through without getting hung up. Pilot drill then install and remove #2 screw, and then a drop of thin Cya to harden the threads. The string provided to pull the servo lead the wing was too short. No slack made it useless to me. With retract unit removed I was able to finesse the lead with a dental pic through the ribs and under the wing tube and exiting the wing.

Each wing has an elevator servo pocket for a mini servo like the Hitec HS-81. I will skip the dual elevator servo set up and put a Hitec thin wing servo, HS-125mg, in the stab and route the extension through the wing. Ribs will be doubled up for mounting a servo hatch and the servo will be mounted to it.

The fuse is set up for a flush mount unit like the wing. A little surgery will be done in the nose for steering arm.

Next problem is the 6 mm dowels for the wing-fin-stab alignment at assembly. The wood dowels are less than 5.5 mm in diameter! Too sloppy of a fit here! Note: The fins, are called rudders in the manual, are to be glued to the wings with a portion of the dowel to extend into the stab. Thankfully the aluminum wing tubes fit fine to the wings and fuselage. The whole plane is assembled by sliding the wing onto the tubes up to the fuselage just before they meet the stab is placed on the dowels that pass through the fins.

Power will be an OS .50 SX with a Pitts style muffler.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94640.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	821641   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72930.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	821642   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ye84344.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	88.5 KB