RCU Forums - View Single Post - Summit III for Pattern?
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2007, 06:35 PM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Summit III for Pattern?

ORIGINAL: MTK

ORIGINAL: JWyatt

I have aquired a Summit III pattern ship, YS .61 w/ pipe, retracts. I have never competed in pattern and don't know too much about it. I'd like to try it out, and I was wondering if this airplane would work for sportsman. I was also wondering if anyone had any good recommendations for prop sizes. I know this plane was not designed for the newer style pattern sequences, but I was hoping I could make it work long enough to see how I like pattern flying. I have flown the airplane with a 11x7.5 prop, but it doesn't seem like I'm getting enough performance. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Bryan
Bryan,

First off, welcome to Pattern. I highly recommend that you get in touch with other pattern fliers in GA. Emory Schroeter and Mike Hester are two good chaps to hook up with.

Second, the Summit III can be made to fly fairly slowly (assuming it was built true) and you could easily compete in Sportsman through Masters with it. I recommend you do the following to slow it down. Lengthen the pipe to approximately 15" to the high point of the pipe, measured from the glow plug, straight line. Then toss the toothpick prop and get a 12x11 or 12 or 13x10 or 11 APC. The engine will turn those props fine but you got to make sure the bearings are in good shape. As you turn the prop, you should not feel any gritty feel. It should be glass smooth.

If the bearing needs replacing, you can get one from Performance Specialties, or you could send the engine in for repair. On second though, send it in anyway so Richard can at least take a look at the regulator section and make any adjustments required. I used a K&B 1L plug on these engines burning 15% nitro fuel

Good luck

MattK