RCU Forums - View Single Post - WACO YMF
Thread: WACO YMF
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2007, 10:54 AM
SuperCub Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WACO YMF

Thanks for that John - great details. But you know the more I play with these @^&#$@&$ cabanes, and trying to get them set to the right length and cutting and soldering the 5/32 steel wire, (remember I'm scratch building!) the more I think it would be easier to cut off the installed cabane wires and replace them with bolt-on cabanes as on the GP Stearman. The advantage is that with the bottom wing installed, you could jig up the top wing into exact position and incidence and then cut the cabanes to fit. Hardwood run throught the fuse from side to side would act as anchor points for the fuse/cabane screws, or blind nuts in reinforced plywood inside the fuse would also serve. The cabanes together with the interplane struts would hold the top wing in position quite well. This is the scale installation and works quite well with the GP model. It's something to think about! The jig could consist of two supports of an "N Strut" configuration with the top and bottom shaped to fit the top and bottom airfoil of the wing. One would be positioned and tacked to each side of the fuse and sitting on the bottom wing it would hold the top wing in firm position while cabanes and struts were cut and fitted. The jig would be made right off the plans assuring correct incidence and position relative to the bottom wing. If on top of that an adjusting screw was added to the rear cabane strut and interplane strut, all kinds of versatility would be possible along with easy removal of the cabanes for other work.
Just thinking out loud!! Any thots!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74554.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	825455