RCU Forums - View Single Post - WACO YMF
Thread: WACO YMF
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2007, 03:24 PM
RICKSTUBBZ

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Default RE: WACO YMF

ORIGINAL: SuperCub Man

What is the preferred method of attaching the F/G cowls to the fuse? I would use aluminum "L" brackets and with other aircraft I have F/G'd the "L" bracket to the cowl and used long hex drivers to access the screws to attach it to the fuse. This has not always been successful nor easy to accomplish. Other than that I could run screws through the cowl and into the already attached "L" brackets, but then unsightly screw heads would show on my soon-to-be pristine cowl! I'd appreciate any suggestions. Stickbuilder, how did you attach that gorgeous cowl you have labored on for so long? No screw heads showing on that I'll bet
Jim (SCM),
Here is a thought on a way to mount the fiberglass cowl. Not necessarily the easiest way to do this. But it should work out to be quite solid and reasonable easy to use. Not to mention it will work as a baffle to force air across the cylinder/head fins. The sketch is somewhat to scale but I have no idea what the dimensions of your engine are.

My sketch represents an approximate shape for thin plywood. There are four circles located around the center 90° from each other and skewed 45°. These four circles represent standoffs coming from the firewall.

One could fiberglass this ring into the cowl as you have done with the “L” brackets in the past. Locating it somewhere just in front of the center line of the G26's cylinder. Using standoffs, mount this ring/plate to hold proper distance from the firewall based on the plates exact location within the cowl.

There are quite a few options for which way to go with hardware. Just an idea and quick sketch.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75982.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	825552