RCU Forums - View Single Post - Lozenge
Thread: Lozenge
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2007, 11:29 PM
abufletcher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Lozenge

I'd be strongly tempted to use Solartex natural as the base for a lozenge painted model. In fact, I've started to think that this may be the only "color" I'll order from now on. In fact, I wish I had used this to cover all of my Snipe.

One idea I've played with is to make a set of "printing blocks" -- one for each color. The first step would be to glue the lozenge pattern on a set of 4 or 5 blocks (depending on with color-pattern you're doing). Then carve down all but one color of the lozenges -- so that the lozenges in this color are raised (by about 1/8" ). Do this for each color.

Next you'd "ink" the block and press it down on the fabric. After you've filled a row with one color let it dry and then do the same with another of the color blocks. This is essentially the method Japanese artists use to make woodblock prints. It would be easy enough to design in some kind of "registration" mark or device but even if it's not exactly right, that's ok because the original printed fabric was also slightly out of register.

Based on some preliminary experiments (using the woodblock carving tools my kids used in their Japanese school) this seems promising.