RCU Forums - View Single Post - Royal Kits
Thread: Royal Kits
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2007, 04:43 PM
Riddle4U

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Royal Kits

Stick 08, it has been awhile since I built this model, but I'll try to explain. The cowl flaps are really opened very little in actuallity, maybe 3/16ths inch measured at the back (maybe 3.5 or 4mm). As you probably found, it is impossible to go further and not "buckle". I remember putting a lot of force with my thumb, on the inside (at the fold line), to maintain the roundness as I bent only slightly the flap. If I had to do it today, I would build a small plywood form on the inside with the same radius and some wood on the outside (also to protect from scratching), then clamp it up before bending. Using the latter method and perhaps some heat from a hobby torch, I think you could bend them out a little further if you wanted (I don't think that is necessary to look good though). The raised panels along the cowl mid-line are actually just very thin card stock that I got at an art supply store, it has a smooth finish unlike most cardboard. I scribed around the piece very lightly with the tip of a #11 exacto blade after paint was dry(use the back of the blade). Oh and the cut outs were just ground with a Dremel. I'm going to try to find this movie you mentioned, now.