RCU Forums - View Single Post - Pfalz DIII resources -- Photos, Drawings, Plans, etc.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:56 PM
geezeraviation
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Pfalz DIII resources -- Photos, Drawings, Plans, etc.

WOW !!! Activity, this is better. What I am aiming for is quarter scale, that's a big Pfalz but my other two WWI aircrapt are in quarter so it just seems like I ought to maintain the same scale. While I'm in awe of Seth's fidelity to the original construction methods, it's beyond me. I managed to read about 6 and a half pages of the thread last night before my face fell on the keyboard from exhaustion, I got past the point where he described how he did the fuselage shells and we'll never know how many brain cells were lost in the confusion. My goal is a scale outline, a detailed cockpit and enough surface detail to make me happy, I'd like to use the upper profile of the scale airfoil and go with a flat or nearly flat bottom. My first scout was a Nieuport 28 from BUSA, I rebuilt the back end of the fuse to make it right, added sheeting behind the cockpit for scale, added all the battens along the front sheeting seams with rivets and screws as required, did the fuel tank panel, and side access panels, the lower nose was reshaped for scale and all the struts, cabane, interplane and landing gear were scaled out as well as a real complicated coil spring affair for the gear and some faux bungees. The camo pattern is politically correct, I modeled Jimmy Meissners # 6144 complete with the Third LIberty Loan poster and Roger Freeman says the colors are close, He's got color swatches from the restoration he did and he's also built a replica 1 to1 scale. The little clamps are on the L.E. of the stab which is airfoiled and sheeted as is the fin and rudder and I gotta tell ya I'm the only one who knows most of that stuff is there. Modeling for GOD is ok but mostly we model for ourselves, we do things like that cause we want to,I'd bet Seth's fuse was done for personal satisfaction. I hope that doesn't make me a modeling heretic cause I do my best to do a good job and try to fly in a scale manner. I've got a bud with a Fok DII and we mock dog fight when we can, it's a hoot and entertaining for the spectators. I'm not in it for competition I go to warbirds and our dawn patrol rally at The Olde Kingsbury Aerodrome and fly for fun and camraderie(thats probably spelled wrong) The CD there is Dean Luckover who I believe does the Dayton show. Happy Landings Yall Doc M. On power, if enough is good, more is better, and too much should be seriously considered