RCU Forums - View Single Post - New Sig P-51B 90-100 size??
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2007, 01:31 AM
bmustang
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Sig P-51B 90-100 size??

The "Malcolm Hood" was not installed at North American Aviation's factories, it was a field modification done by the ground crews in Britain. (If it were American, it would be called a "canopy"; "hood" is a British term.) The British Malcolm company manufactured them originally as an "after market mod" for the Mustang III (RAF version of the P51B/C) and some found their way into American hands (I've even seen a pic of an earlier Allison-engined Mustang that got one) but the Malcolm company did not have the production capacity to outfit the large number of American AND British Mustangs in service, thus it fell to the manufacturer to do something about this. NAA basically went them one better and developed the bubble canopy with full 360 degree visibility.

Jmohn, I favor the earlier style too - for my modeling purposes, there is no particular point in doing the "latest and greatest" version of what is a vintage airplane anyway. I simply like the old greenhouse style better. Perhaps it just strikes me as more evocative of the style and era of the propeller driven figher where the bubble seems to be already looking ahead to the jet age. I've pretty much decided that, while there are more Mustangs in my future, I've done my last bubble version.