RCU Forums - View Single Post - Pfalz DIII resources -- Photos, Drawings, Plans, etc.
Old 12-20-2007, 05:33 AM
geezeraviation
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Pfalz DIII resources -- Photos, Drawings, Plans, etc.

Tom, I just looked back at what I've posted and it looks like I misspelled your name twice now, many apologies. I used the undercambered tip with a flat bottomed airfoil trick on a small (1/8) scale Tabloid on floats (Schneider) a few years ago and it's surprising how it fools the eye. Maybe I'll consider the scale airfoil since it flew well for you, how's the leading edge radius? This will be the first time I've really prepared properly a scale project for building. The Nieuport was framed before I bought the datafile, I started tearing things apart to make them more scale, I dont reccomend doing it that way but it worked out ok in the end and except for being a real slow roller it flies great. Any one building one hear this, increase the ammount of up aileron available from the kit, and make the stab incidence 0 to the lower wing, use a meter regardless of what it says on the first page if the instructions, it will remain neutral to throttle changes instead of climbing like a homesick angel at full throttle, the upper wing is about 1/2 pos. Back to the Pfalz, as I said in a previous post I'm going to order the AZM drawings in about 1/6 and use them and the Wylam drawings to generate my own plans. Drawing a good set of working drawings is a lot of work but also very satisfying. Idesigned a seaplane and redrew an 80 inch high wing cabin plane (sortof a Fairchild 24 looking thing) to incorporate some changes that I wanted. I doubt anyone but me could have built the seaplane (Idid) from the drawings but the Fauxchild could have been built by anyone. So as you're working on them you have to keep in mind " will the average builder understand what is supposed to be done from this work?" If you dont plan to make them available to anyone else then as long as you know how things are to be done, it's OK. If you're going to make them for distribution they need to be clear on all aspects of construction. Even if you're only say going to provide them to some friends, otherwise you'll be on the phone and in thier shops explaining "see this is how that is supposed to be done." I've got plans I bought from RCM years ago that were so technical and covered up with lines and dashes and confusing aspects that they lie in the plan hoard never to see the light of day again. I gotta get ready for work Ugh. Happy landings, Doc. On power, if enough is good, more is better, and too much should be seriously considered.