View Single Post
Old 12-21-2007, 05:55 PM
vonJaerschky
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Lozenge

ORIGINAL: allanflowers

Nice looking D.VII!. Is it electric?
That Aerodrome site is one of my favorites. Kurt Bengston seems to have a great eye for scale proportions and his designs are very appealing. On the other hand, I think he is colorblind or something. Those camo decals are not very close and, since it is such a lot of work doing a camo scheme, one might as well start with colors that are better. Another thing, the real camo wasn't done with black outlines.
Yes, it's electric. I scratch built it from Peter Rake plans about 3 years ago. It's a fantastic flyer. Very light weight. I went electric about 4 years ago. I love WW1 aircraft, and it is just so much easier to run electric than glow with all those wires, struts, etc. No vibration or oily mess. Personally, I'd rather have the sound of a 4-stroke, but you can't have everything.

Kurt certainly has some great designs. I've actually done the prototype build for two of his kits (57" Albatros C.III and 47" Dr.1), and am currently working on the 1/9 scale 41" Snipe.

As far as the colours go, I matched mine using other documentation, and just used the .dxf files for the lozenge pattern. Nothing like mixing 8 custom shades of dope! I have always found that computers are very unfriendly when it comes to reproducing colours accurately. It's like Chinese whispers, and the accuracy always suffers everytime you go from program, to download, to monitor or printing.