RCU Forums - View Single Post - WACO YMF
Thread: WACO YMF
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2007, 05:53 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: WACO YMF

ORIGINAL: Mainer_Jim

I was marveling at your imagineering, Bill, from the first time you showed me the photo of your plane cowl. I have an 11" dummy radial from one of my GeeBees made of resin, it's pretty heavy but it's very detailed, and it is for static display only. Yours is functional and light, and that's no small thing, especially considering that yours looks so great. When I build my scale Waco (of whatever size) I will likely not buy a radial engine for it, instead I'll use a good dummy facade, so I've watched yours with increasing interest. Beautiful job.

Here's where I got mine:

http://franktiano.com/scaleproductFrameset.htm

Garthwood, I'll check out wings mfg.

Jim
Jim,

The cowl (white one with red blisters) is not one from Stan's. It is from an old Pica kit, and is ABS plastic. The blisters were cut out of the sheet of parts, and glued to the cowl, and the radius was done using polyester body putty. It is labor intensive, but still makes for a nice looking cowl. The latches were made from aluminum scrap, fitted to the holes that I drilled in the cowl. The parting line was done by shooting a couple of extra coats of primer over the exposed upper half of the cowl, with the bottom half being masked.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1