RCU Forums - View Single Post - Struggling with Single Rotor basics
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2007, 10:27 AM
rayelljay

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Struggling with Single Rotor basics

Be not afraid....practice will make perfect and you will learn the quirks of your birds.
I started just over a year ago with a CX-2 and it has proved to be as bulletproof a bird as anyone could want providing you don't expect too much from it. Violent movements are out so it teaches smoothness.
I went to Cp-pro after a few months and "taught myself" to fly it.......just be patient and cautious....if you're not comfortable with the flight, land and try again.
Do not let the pressure of others coerce you into expensive bravado.
I still fly with the "training wheels" because it does increase the footprint and saves main blades.
With the CP-pro, to try to get perfect mechanically is a waste of time and resources. The heli is "gifted" with small diameter ball link ends for which there are no adequate tools so fine adjustment means some mangled fingernails and possible busted parts. Some ball ended pliers will work to separate the linkage but reassembling needs great care.....once you've done it a few times, you'll be OK....the actual balls have a skinny attachment' so that is the point of potential breakage.....I made my own little jigs for painless reassembly.
Some of the "goodies" out there are nice...(I have two CNC heads for the Pro) but, in reality, I found the best upgrades to be the autorotation system and the alum swashplate.
If you want mechanical (flying) perfection then you need to consider a bigger machine with easier handleable parts......I went to a T-rex and found that the larger disc spinning at higher RPM was easier to control.
I currently have 1-CX-2 with Stersman tail and the original motors but alum swashplate, 2-CP-pros with superskids, autorotate and alum swashplates and original motors...!!! and my beautiful Rex.
Most of all.....get some simulator time.....not just to play with but to learn what to expect from specific control inputs....some of those sim models are pretty accurate and will prepare you with a good visual "sight picture" of a bird in the air ('tis a trifle disconcerting when you first get a look at the underside of the rotor) but there's nothing quite like the real thing.
You'll find that hovering while within ground effect will be quite a challenge but not insurmountable....I found that once you get above three feet altitude you'll be able to relax more when out of ground effect.
It will become more addictive as you getter better and more confident.....trust me on that......and you'll get to a stage where you'll say to yourself "....can't understand why I had a problem with that."