RCU Forums - View Single Post - Welcome to Club SAITO !
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2007, 07:41 PM
rexracer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

I've read all the arguments for and against castor. The strongest argument against is the mess, but nobody here is saying to run straight castor, just a couple of percent. The arguments for some castor in the mix are, IMHO, undeniable. Castor protects at temps that synthetics vaporize at. Castor coats and protects against rust, where synthetics won't. I don't get to fly every week, and sometimes I'll come home, park the plane, and forget about it untill I fly it again a couple weeks later. Castor will keep it safe in my damp garage. To me the argument is similar to the people who argue against seat belts because you might get in an accident, drive off the bridge, and get trapped because the belt release jams. I'll play the odds and wear the belt, and clean the mess and keep my engine rust free. I haven't seen a glow engine yet that left the plane clean, and if my valves get gummed up after 30 gallons of fuel with 3% castor in the mix, I'll clean the engine in hot antifreeze, and marvel at how new and un-worn it still looks when I'm done.