RCU Forums - View Single Post - Electrifly Extra 330s
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2007, 04:23 PM
wedgewing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Electrifly Extra 330s

440GTX

sorry that I have been delayedon my update and builds. Just completed both ( GP Extra 330s and the E Flite 260 3D ) over the last two days.

both are set up very similar to yours in the fact that I use only the Park 480s ( they work and I have had good results with them so why mess around?)

Only engine difference is that the 260 3D gets the 480 1020kv, and the 330s gets the 480 910kv

both have 40 amp e flite esc, and s-75 servos. I am using TP 2100 lipos in both. Castle/Berg 4 channel radio in the 330s (buddy box with my son) and the 260 3D has a spectrum AR6100 receiver and I am flying with the DX7. I am a little spooked about the AR6100 right now because I just lost my Mini Ultra Stick (for the second time) to the same receiver when about 7 minutes into the flight it just stopped talking to the radio and turned into a buzz bomb. You think I would learn the first time. Good news is that Horizon was very kind on the customer service end and stated that I should send in the receiver and if they could not find any issue, they would replace it anyway. I am like you, I 3D more on the simulator and I am sure will mess around with these as well. I am primarily going to sport fly them and just have a great time with two very nice looking airplanes

On to the builds. Overall, I enjoyed the 260 3D build more than the 330s ( just seemed quicker), or maybe my wife gave me more hell when I told her I was only "disappearing for 10 minutes to putz on the plane." With the 260 3D you could get most things done, but the 330s seemed to throw a new building challenge at me or something took longer than expected. Like another poster, I was surprised to find the 330s' rudder and elevator servo bodies touching bottoms and remedied it by placing a washer under each of the screw plates and tightening each side slowly so now my servos both fit even though they are apparently too tall.

The cowl on the 260 3D comes completed with a cooling hole. GP asks me kindly to "create a venting hole in the fiberglass cowl." Man, i hate cutting into the fiberglass cowls, just waiting for a nice chip to come off of paint. I complied and did the "extra work on my Extra." I also enjoyed the science experiment of having to create the cowl frame for the Extra 330s by aligning and gluing the wood frame into the cowl so it can be magnetically attached. I complied here as well. It is an interesting concept having the cowl attach this way instead of using screws as on the 260 3D. The benefit of screws on the 260 3D is the speed of installation, and also knowing you will "definitely" need to buy a new one if your plane bites the big one. I am left with only thoughts of what the 330s cowl's condition may be if I accidentally drill a fence post with the plane........

the finish on both is very nice, although I give the winner to the 260 3D as much of the cover film is wrinkled on the tail feathers and I had to do a lot of iron work to smooth out the wing covering. the 330s still is a very attractive plane and I am not going to notice any wrinkles while it is in the air.

I think the one thing that really bummed me out about the 330s was the linkage system. It is a very cool concept with the adjustable control horns on the carbon rods. They just don't stay tight with the tightening screw in place. I stopped pouting and used the closed end control horn that came with the hardware and put a little CA in the end and used 4 "heavy duty" screw lock connectors over the whole plane. I could not use micros because the carbon rod is just slightly larger than the hole diameter of micro connectors. I am not flying this plane in a gym, so I will not cry over the extra percentage of a gram these screw-lock connectors may add. I will feel better knowing that a hard maneuver will not pull a control surface out of trim.

I fly from grass and changed the wheels on both planes to MPI sport wheels. 3 inch on the GP 330s and 2.5 inch on the E Flite 260 3D. Once I get some airtime with them I may revisit the wheel pants. I have a set of dubro park flyer skis in case I have to maiden them with deicing fluid.

I will let you know how they fly as I plan to get them in the air before this week's big chill hits

Happy New Year everyone. If you have any other questions about the two planes and how the compare on builds, and flights let me know

KP