RCU Forums - View Single Post - 3D Hot Hots Build
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2008, 08:32 AM
kbear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 3D Hot Hots Build

Ok, here's those Photos. The wing is a straightforward affair, so I didn't take as many photos. I'll comment on a few thinks that I either liked or think you should know if you ever build this plane.

The wing is built flat on the board as one piece. the spars are just behind the high point of the airfoil were it starts to go straight. This means you can lay them flat on the board with the spar pinned down. One note here, don't glue the TE stock on with the wing in this position. That will make it line up with the bottom side and angle up from the top, sort of reflexing it. Remove the wing from the board and then add the TE. Clear as Mud right?

I had to make the spars and TE out of two pieces, so I used a scarf joint that I placed at the two root ribs. I did not do this to the LE as there is a ply backer there for the wing dowels.

Here is that backer. The article has you cut the root ribs for the backer after you have finished the top sheeting. I would suggest doing it just after gluing the two ribs together. It would have been much easier that way and would not have interfered with the build.

I drilled the wing bolt hole were the laser engraved x was on the ply support on the wing TE and this is what I got. The wing support in the fuse is placed per plan. I would suggest that you move the support in the fuse forward a 1/4" or drill you hole in the wing a 1/4" back toward the TE.

My fix was to cut a piece of 1/8" ply as shown and glue on some 1/2" x 1/4" stock for filler. The ply was glued behind and spanning the original structure. I didn't like that the blind nut for the wing was going to bite into balsa anyway.

I used a Sullivan tail wheel assembly so had to do a mod there. I'm not sure it will hold up as is, so I may glass this area for strength. I also put the the main gear on and added the hard wood rails in the tail for the servos. I didn't use the placement shown on the plans. I moved the elevator servo back as far as it would go and moved the rudder on the other side just in front of it. With the elevator control rod below the surface, I wanted it as short a possible to avoid flex when pulling out of a dive. My normal habit is to have the elevator servo pull for up to avoid the problem, but in this case it was not possible. Finally I sheeted the bottom. I'll get a picture of the whole thing up next time. I have left to build the control surfaces and cut the hinge slots, then give it a good once over with putty and sand paper before covering. I may have to cut the nose off to get a glow engine on her. If I do, I won't be too sad as that is how the original Hot Hots was designed and it would allow me to turn the engine on it's side so the exhaust was under the wing.