RCU Forums - View Single Post - "Quest for the First Bird" or "What Have I Gotten Myself Into?"
Old 01-04-2008, 01:33 PM
ShutterAce

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Quest for the First Bird" or "What Have I Gotten Myself Into?"

Hi All,

I've been lurking here and at other forums the last week or so reading everything I can regarding "easier to fly than most" electric planes. I'm not necessarily looking for recommendations for a specific aircraft as much as i am trying to understand why there seems to be a "one size fits all" answer. So really I just have a bunch of questions.Please feel free to chime in on any or all of them.

Thanks!

[ul][*] What is the true advantage of a Super Cub over say an Aerobird? The stories I have read about radio glitches with the Cub worry me. I have had more than enough experience with cheap radio issues with my Nitro cars than I care to discuss. I understand the SuperCub looks "real" but it's kinda like putting chrome valve covers on a Yugo isn't it? With all you guys & gals switching to 2.4ghz radios there are lots of cheap second hand FM setups available now. I'm thinking I could put together a setup with a nice used 6 channel FM unit for a little bit more money than the SuperCub. If not the Aerobird seems a better value than the Cub for the purpose. Hopefully that made sense.[X(][*] My second concern is ailerons. By far the advice I have seen is to wait for ailerons until you are ready to move onto your second plane. There are those out in the wilderness that dispute this but they are few and far between it seems. Anyway, I have lots of simulator time over many years with some glider time many many years ago. To me ailerons + elevator seem much more natural. That being the case is it still recommended to go "aileronless" at first? Can you get a trainer that has ailerons that you can disable until you feel ready for them? I don't have a problem dropping a few hundred dollars on a plane but I do have a problem having to do it twice in a month or two. [*] Is having "too much" power really a bad thing? I understand the want to have a docile acting plane that flies slow enough for me to learn to react correctly. That said I don't see any reason not to have a bit of "extra" power available to possibly get myself out of trouble.[*] Finally, are biplanes generally more stable than monoplanes? I want to think that is true but if it is then why are all the trainers I see monoplanes?
[/ul]

I've read so many opinions in the last few days that I am trying to weed out the real reasons that some of the recommendations were made. The "glitchie" radio stories worry me most of all, not because of the possibilites of destroying the plane, because it's a huge safety hazard to have an uncontrolled object falling from the sky at a high rate of speed. I'm a model rocketeer too so falling objects are a big deal to me.

Well, I'll stop there for now I guess.

Thanks again for your replies.

-Jim