RCU Forums - View Single Post - Guillow's #303 Piper Super Cub 95 Build
Old 01-04-2008, 03:24 PM
slim_pkns

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Guillow's #303 Piper Super Cub 95 Build

Thanks for all the encouragement everyone! I think it would be really cool to make this R/C. I think it would have to be 4-channel though. Keep this model together on landing probably means near perfect touchdowns. This is a good time to start preparing whichever I choose. Here are a few thought I have so far concerning R/C:

1. I haven't built a model like this in a long, long time and I can already see that it isn't going as well as I would like.
2. I haven't been building light. Maybe not as big an issue as I think but...
3. I don't really want to deviate much from the plans for this one and I really don't want to change the parts to another wood. I'm getting confused by all the posts about keeping it light but changing to basswood, spruce, or ply. Aren't they all much heavier?
4. What servos would I use? Should I use the GWS flight pack? Hitech HS-55 or HS5-55 ( I forget which they are called )?
5. Maybe I should purchase a digital scale.
6. I've drawn some dashed lines to define where I might add aileron, elevator, rudder. Doesn't look too difficult to add. Aileron would be most difficult of the three. I'm thinking I could just sand down a solid balsa piece to tapper off at the trailing edge instead of building up with the tips of the spars and the original trailing edge pieces.
7. I have plenty of radio equipment but battery and ESC kind of concern me if I'm try to stay light. BMatthews has a point about that earlier and I agree.
8. This model is not worth putting $100.00 into. I prefer biplanes and sesquiplanes and I have a Great Planes Fokker D.V-11 to finish!
9. Hmmmm....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79493.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	842098   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71699.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	842099