RCU Forums - View Single Post - Carbon Fiber Outer Shaft - CX CX2
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2008, 10:55 PM
goldslinger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Carbon Fiber Outer Shaft - CX CX2

ORIGINAL: ViperRR

Hey eat,
I'm doing the same mod, but I found it easier & better to just leave the serrated bushing in the spur. I drilled a 4mm hole in an old 3/8" nylon cuttting board and slid the assembly shaft-side-down in the hole and rested it in an open vise (propped up boards will also do). The bushing will stay put (larger dia. than the shaft) and there is no stress on the fragile spur. I then used a slightly smaller than 4mm hardened rod and with a couple of hammer blows, the outer shaft popped out. It's a press fit and now I have two (I did two) perfect outer shafts to give away to whoever wants them. I then slid the .157" carbon tube through the bushing/spur and it's a perfect fit (needs a bit of epoxy to set) and there is no wobble of the gear teeth whatsoever.
Doing it this way will save a few steps and possibly deforming or breaking the spur, namely the thin legs from the center to the teeth ring. I also noticed in your pics that the bushing has a mold ring perpendicular to the serrations and seperating it from the spur hub could posssibly deform or split the hub. Maybe you had no problem, but it saved me some labor.

That's how I made mine last month. The whole project took about 8 minutes ready to put in heli. I knocked out a couple more tonight.

I just put the shaft loosely in a vice so that the whole plastic, aluminum assy. was flush at the top and only the steel shaft was held loosely, and used a 5/32" punch; took 3 light taps, and 'Violla!' Came out cleanly, leaving everything in place.

This will make certain that the new c.f. shaft will be true. (as true as the factory anyway).

Then, use thin C.A. at the top juncture and bottom, (it will wick in) and quickly getting rid of any excess so that the bearing and step washer will be good and flush.

Watch the depth at the bottom, be sure to allow for the bearing.

Gary