RCU Forums - View Single Post - Guillow's #303 Piper Super Cub 95 Build
Old 01-06-2008, 08:07 PM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Guillow's #303 Piper Super Cub 95 Build

Sorry if I confused things, Slim. What it boils down to, I think, is that Post #31 from Fred gives you about the lightest system you can get without going for the more expensive, specialized micro stuff. For a receiver, you're probably best off with the Berg that doesn't have a case, as Bruce says. It's very light and has an excellent reputation.

Have I got the radio/power message right, guys?

For the airframe, you really need to keep it light, except that the spars are going to have heavier flight loads than the plane was designed for. Bruce suggests basswood or spruce. I think that one spar is directly over the other, so instead you could just join the top and bottom stock spars with thin sheet (1/16 or even 1/32) with vertical grain - "sheer webbing". I think the in-board one third of the wing would be sufficient. Now you've got a full depth spar that is very strong. Also, you might want a little reinforcement on the dihedral joint--I'm not sure what that looks like.

Forget the ailerons--you will add too much weight in a project this size.

For punching out parts on die cut kits like that, sand the BACK of the sheet first. Then, if necessary, turn over and trace the cuts with an Exacto knife.

The formers aren't really carrying a lot of strain, so don't worry about filling every gap. And especially don't try to fill gaps with glue--use slivers of balsa if you must. Just line them up by eye.

Jim