RCU Forums - View Single Post - Reaction 54 Jet Kit
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2008, 03:53 PM
ww2birds
My Feedback: (14)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Reaction 54 Jet Kit

Another R54 just about ready to fly.

This one is covered with Monokote, and has the rear access hatch hinged so that it can be experimented with as a speedbrake. Some of you may have seen my earlier post on this, and the discussion about speedbrakes in general. Right now, it's just a hatch, with a magnetic latch. Other than the hinged hatch, it's pretty much box-stock. I did fully sheet the wing, as I was considering doing glass and paint.

I used stock retracts, Robostruts on the mains, and a Dreamworks trailing link nosegear, mounted in the standard nose unit. Trim wheels and brakes, JetTech main fuel tank.

Radio is a Futaba 14MZ with the TM-14/6014 2.4GHz module (test flew the 2.4GHz Rx and module yesterday in a 35% Pitts Special .. rock solid .. have had the 14MZ for a few years now).

Power is a Wren54SS. Has run on the test stand ... nice motor. UAT and ECU are in the boattail. Will use "off board" propane start with the Great Northern regulator. Empty weight is 17#, looks like we'll need a little over a pound of lead to balance, I'll report once it's balanced.

I "sort of" followed a full scale Panther color scheme, see photo below.

The R54 group represented here has created a simply outstanding information resource for this aircraft, and I have used it and Bruce's index extensively .. so a big thank you to all of the R54 thread community .. and of course a mega thank-you to Bruce for an outstanding design and kit, and first-class customer support. The "BT" in the nomenclature is a tip of the hat to Bruce .. I guess the "54" is obvious :-) The graphics are Jerry Caudle's Pro Mark dry transfer .. first time I have used them .. highly recommended.

Dave McQ
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42503.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	363.7 KB
ID:	845016   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yu63531.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	289.2 KB
ID:	845017   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx61426.jpg
Views:	78