RCU Forums - View Single Post - Spektrum lock-outs
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2008, 06:18 PM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Spektrum lock-outs

There is a lot of logical positivism on both sides here. Does anyone remember "all ravens are black" from their philosophy classes? I kid. But to say that Spektrum has no issues because you have not seen any at your field is naive. Same goes for those saying Spektrum is a failure because they've experienced problems.

One thing is for sure, there is an issue with low voltage cut off with Spektrum receivers. Horizon has released a press release about this and QuiQue demonstrated this at the SEFF event.

I’ve experience both the low voltage cut-off (rx reboots) and slow reconnect (plane does not respond for 6+ seconds), which resulted in my losing my 50cc Aero-Works Extra 260. When I called Horizon about this issue in early 2007 they denied there was an issue. A few months later Quique lost his 100cc Pitts Python for the same reason. The deciding factor in him losing the plane was a regulator increasing in heat because of ambient temperature. I also had another friend lose his giant scale plane the same way. We've since learned how to properly set-up a giant scale plane with Spektrum, but I would like for all Spektrum receivers to be remedied of the low voltage/reboot issue.

I have used the DX-7 since November of 2006 and recently the x9303 2.4Ghz system in all my electrics and I have not had ANY issues. It was only with my giant scale plane that I had issues. I will be using my x9303 2.4Ghz system in a Extreme Flight 50cc Yak, but this time all rx batteries have deans connectors and I will be monitoring the amp draw with a Emcotec readout. Once I am comfortable with the set-up, I will migrate it over to my 40% planes. I really like the benefits of Spektrum system and I've accepted that there are bugs to be ironed out. Heck, I work in software development and it is part of the process.

It is unfortunate that some members of the RCU “community” jumped on jmohn because he had a negative experience. We all come to RCU and other forums to get help, not flamed.

BTW – I met Jmohn as he flies at the same field (SCCMAS Tomcats) that I do and he seems like a stand-up guy.