RCU Forums - View Single Post - semi symmetrical
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2008, 11:05 PM
hogflyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: semi symmetrical

To add just a bit more to what BigEd said about the Alpha 40 - there is a guy in my club who has one. He's just gotten back into the hobby after being out for many years. He used to fly pattern and it shows in his flying skills. He'll fly circles around Sky Raider Mk I & II's, 4*'s, Pulses, ect with the Alpha. I've watch him fly one flight with the Alpha and turn right around and fly the same routine with a Sky Raider Mk II. The Alpha, in his hands, was a match for the Sky Raider in every maneuver except for spins where the aerodynamic limitations of the flat bottom wing prevented it from winding up as tight in a spin, and some snap maneuvers, again due to the airfoil.

Also don't rule out planes with a thick symmetrical airfoil like a Big Stick and similar. If you are willing to build from a kit, there are the Sig Kavalier and Astro Hog, both with semi-symmetrical airfoils. The Kavalier will do just about anything you want, including lomcevaks. The Astro Hog gained it's fame as the 1958 multi (in the day it was 8-channel, referred to as 4 channels today) National aerobatic champion. It's a very stable, good flying plane that can be used as a primary trainer, but is one of the best secondary trainers. With the throws stepped up it makes a great aerobatic trainer you'll enjoy flying for many years. The Hog uses the NACA 2415 airfoil which has a very good reputation for being aerobatic yet friendly.

If you want to build a new wing for the NextStar as was suggested, I've played with different airfoils for the NextStar on my RF G3.5. I used both the NACA 2415 semi-symmetrical and Bridi Trainer 60 fully symmetrical airfoils. Both are thick which helped lower the landing speed on the flight sim and worked quite well. The NACA has better slow flight and the Bridi had better aerobatics which was to be expected. I think either would work fine on the NextStar if you wanted to go that route. Dr. Selig's website on the SIU website will give you the airfoil plots which are not that difficult to layout with free programs like Prolifi and a low-end Cad system.

Hogflyer