RCU Forums - View Single Post - New Sig P-51B 90-100 size??
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2008, 12:30 PM
Mike Gretz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: New Sig P-51B 90-100 size??

All-
I have the SIG P-51B instruction manual in pdf format. It's approx. 1.5mb, so I am not going to upload it to this web site. If anyone wants it, just send me [email protected] or Mike Lee [email protected] a private email here at SIG, and we will send it right out to you.

jmohn and haze_b -
I am very interested in hearing how your electric versions turn out. Please keep me posted. I have one more prototype unassembled here at SIG, and I am seriously thinking about putting it together with an electric motor for next summer.

Regarding the engine size listing-
The #1 prototype I flew with an older Saito 91 4C. It performed great. All anyone would ever want for a Mustang. Perfect power IMO.
The #2 prototype, the one that was shown at the Chicago show in October, has a new Saito 1.00 4C. Naturally it also performs fantastic because it is very close in power and weight to the older 91.

The engine size spec in the advertising was arrived at by looking at all the engines available on the market in the correct power range, and then narrowing it down by engine weight. I have no doubt that many will be stuffing 1.20 4Cs in the airplane, but they are awfully heavy IMO and will have balance problems. Smaller engines, like a Saito .80 have the right weight range, and would probably fly the Mustang OK, but they might not be all that the customer is looking for in a Mustang engine ... you don't want an underpowered Mustang!

IMO the Saito 90 and 1.00 turned out to be ideal. Really sweet! Any other engine or electric motor in their ballpark should do equally as well. I would consider the Saito 90 - 1.00 specs as the yardstick.

Jmohn-
The retracts supplied in the kit are OK MODELS mechanical units. Almost all of the retracts I had used in 30+ years of RC flying were air operated, so I was slightly skeptical when asked to try the OK MODELS units. Well I gotta tell ya that they installed easy and have performed perfectly. I'm driving mine with a Hi-Tech HS75BB Retract Servo (92 oz of torque). They have never failed me once, except when one of the wire gear legs came loose from the right unit in flight. So now the inst. manual says to be sure to Lock-Tite the gear legs into the units before flying. I understand your favoring air retracts .. normally I'd be right with you .. but I gotta say these mechanical units have not given me any reason to make a change.

Mike G
SIG Mfg Co