RCU Forums - View Single Post - 101" C-130 arf
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2008, 05:51 AM
adamjedgar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 101" C-130 arf

hi all,
I definately lost an engine...it makes little difference whether it stopped completely or just lost power. The swing effect from the two opposing engines, considering the enormous power my aircraft had (4 x 52's instead of 4x30's) in addition to much larger propellors, resulted in a very sudden and rapid flat spin at low altitude. As for airspeed, she was travelling about half throttle just prior to my increasing throttle to climb a little for a go round. It was only a few seconds after this that the trouble occurred.

realistically, the crash could have easily been avoided if i had of kept an eye on the timer. you cant run a 52 four stroke for 13 minutes at 2/3 to 3/4 throttle on only 190cc of fuel...especially on a maiden flight. For one, we make the assumption that 100% of each tank's 190cc capacity is usable in all 4 tanks. i had already had trouble with one of the tanks being only 2/3 usuable. i had to change the fuel line in the tank as it was too stiff for the size clunk i was using and wouldn't bend down to the bottom of the tank (and the new line i used wasn't all that much better i might add).

anyway, the crash was, as it most often the case, caused by pilot error.

I ;
1. flew to long,
2. a little to slow,
3. didnt react quickly enough especially considering the low alititued involved (i should have simply cut all four engines instantly, not just backed them off until i assessed which one/s were failing)
4. didnot mix both pairs of engines to the one radio throttle joystick (had trouble getting this to work properly when testing so i disabled the mix) therefore, i had two throttle joysticks you might say (and i cant remember which one i backed off first, something tells me it may have been the main joystick which unfortunately, the inners were paired up to!!!)

basically, inexperience on multiengine, especially 4 engine RC models was to blame. Let me say to those who havent experienced multi engine stuff, they are a piece of cake to fly...when all is functioning correctly, however, when something goes wrong...God help you if your low, slow, and overtime!!!

Actually, when i got home, i simulated an engine out on my RC flight simulator when flyhing the p38, and cessna 310 in a similar attitude and crashed virtually every time. When i simulated same event at a moderatly higher altitude, recovery was relatively easy and yet i still managed to crash almost half the time. Muti engine aircraft simply do not respond quickly to control input when compared with single stuff (and thats no suprise considering you have a heavy windmill sitting out on each wing. In the herc case, more than half the aircraft's weight is out there( ...and that aint gonna change direction in a hurry)

Cheers
Adam