RCU Forums - View Single Post - Here's a Simple & FREE First Foam Build Plan! Cool Looking Plane Too...
Old 01-10-2008, 12:54 PM
critterhunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Here's a Simple & FREE First Foam Build Plan! Cool Looking Plane Too...

Ever since I first saw a picture of this plane in a magazine I've wanted to build it. The FW42 never went into production but wind tunnel models were being tested. The German's blew up the facility where the plans were housed and they remained unknown until years later when the site was dug up.

Far as I know there are no commercial RC kits available. In fact, I've only been able to find two RC builds on the net. You either love it's looks or hate it. I think it's very mean looking myself and decided to build one.

I had cut out the body parts for a 3 foot wingspan version of this plane but decided I wanted something bigger. A friend is taking those to build an indoor flyer, so yesterday I cut out and sanded the body parts for a 4 foot FW42. Glad I decided to build a bigger one, it's coming out pretty nice. Breaking my personal speed record for building. Electronics probably start going in tonight.

Installed a carbon arrow shaft into the wing. That along with this really dense EPS foam makes it stiff as a board. Vertical stab and canard are Cell Foam 88 and will get bambo skewers to stiffen them up. Would have prefered to use flat carbon but I'm out at the moment.

Fuse Length: 34 1/2"
Wingspan: 4'
Airfoil: USA27 (Sanded down a bit, so it's between that and a RAF6)
Canard Length: 19"
Motor Setup: Single Pusher
Controls: Ailerons (HS81s), Elevator (HS81), Rudder (HXT500)
Speed Control: Tower Pro 30 Amp
Motor: Hextroniks 35-36-1100
Prop: APC E 10x7 (About 40-46 ounces of thrust, drawing 21 to 25 amps)
Battery: HXT 2200 20C 3 Cell

This is a little too much motor for this size plane. Did I say "too much motor"? It might do unlimited vertical at around half throttle if I hit my weight range. It'll be getting landing gear and a full Nazi splender of camo and decals. I'm also planning on making bubble canopies for the gunner stations at the nose and tail.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88000.gif
Views:	38
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	847319   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb90620.jpg
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	847320   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx61198.jpg
Size:	56.7 KB